Discovering you have mold in your home can cause you to feel many things. You might initially feel disgusted and frustrated. Placing the home up for sale might be the first step people want to take when the issue is discovered, but that should be a last resort. It is important to not panic! At many times, people live in a home with mold without realizing its even there. If the problem is not eventually addressed though, there is potential that mold will begin to take over and cause changes to people’s health within the environment.
According to the EPA, most responses to mold are similar to hay fever-type symptoms. Some health symptoms you may notice after mold develops include:
- sore eyes
- itchy skin
- runny or blocked nose
- coughing or sneezing
- sore throat
Many times people will not associate these symptoms with mold in the home but rather with allergies or a cold. One sign that these symptoms are from mold is that the symptoms decrease when you leave your home. Another sign is that multiple people in your home suffer these same symptoms over a period of time.
It is important to be aware of the signs of mold growth, in order to stop the problem before it grows to be out of control. Visible mold growth might seem like an obvious sign; however, many people don’t notice small amounts of mold growth or think it’s just dirt. To tell if mold is growing in your home, follow your nose. A musty, earthy smell, like dirt and rotting leaves, is a telltale sign of mold’s presence; however, not all molds will have this smell and some may be a little different. Signs of water problems, water leaks, condensation, or past flooding may also be a good indicator or contributor to mold growth.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises that any type of mold can cause health problems. Therefore, you should arrange to have any and all mold in your home removed, no matter what type it is. Call Black Diamond today for all of your concerns with mold and restoration needs!